How to Remove Hair Oil from Upholstery
May 20, 2013
Does an oil-ring mark the spot on a piece of your furniture where a family member just loves to lay their head? You know, the one that claims the recliner as Daddy’s chair perhaps, or the evidence of someone prone to sleepless nights on the sofa?
In hindsight, I’m sure we all wish we’d just placed a towel, blanket, or even a doily on the back of that one piece of furniture. But here we are oil spots and all. The damage is done and there’s nothing else for us to do but to move forward with a solution. Here is a great one.
1. Vacuum the oily area to remove any dirt and debris that may have been attracted to the stain.
2. Sprinkle baking powder or cornstarch liberally over the entire grease stain and allow it to sit overnight. You may have to actually lay a chair down to do this step adequately. These powders are very absorbent and can really do wonders when it comes to other forms of grease as well.
3. Gently dust off the top layer of baking powder and then vacuum it again to effectively remove the rest.
4. Mix together: ½ cup warm water, 1 tbsp ammonia, and 1 tsp mild dish soap. Gently stir it without raising suds.
5. Wet a cleaning cloth in the solution and wring it out. Too much water will not help the cleaning process and can often cause a stain to spread.
6. Using the tip of the cloth, gentle rub the solution onto the greasy area working from the outside in. Rinse frequently and continue to dab the stain until all the oil has been removed.
7. Allow the area to air dry.
I gathered this information from a number of respected websites:
I hope it works well for you and gets that oily-haired culprit off the hook!
Julie Rosenfeld serves as an Administrative Assistant for Aaron’s Quality Cleaners, a carpet-cleaning company that services the Fresno and Clovis (CA) areas. She is the author of “Julie’s Corner” and provides information and perspective on topics related to the carpet-cleaning industry.
Aaron’s Quality Cleaners performs carpet cleaning, tile cleaning, aggregate cleaning and upholstery cleaning in Fresno, Clovis, Madera and Sanger California.